Acceptance Insurance was founded in 1979 and is headquartered in Nashville, TN. The company operates as a subsidiary of First Acceptance Insurance. Today, Acceptance has over 700 insurance agents and sells auto, home and life insurance products in 17 states. Acceptance also works with a network of carriers to help customers find the best rate. Keep reading to see our full Acceptance insurance review.
Acceptance car insurance
Acceptance is one of the few insurance companies that specialize in non-standard insurance, also called high-risk auto insurance. If you struggle to get auto insurance due to your credit score, claims history or driving record, Acceptance might be a good option for you.
Types of coverage
- Basic coverage: Acceptance offers minimum and full coverage car insurance. Policies available include collision, comprehensive, liability, medical payments and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- Personal injury protection: Acceptance offers personal injury protection (PIP) insurance, which is required in at-fault states. Drivers in any state can purchase PIP for additional medical expenses coverage.
- Roadside assistance: Acceptance’s roadside assistance coverage is sold as an add-on policy. It includes towing coverage, lockout service, extrication, flat tire service, fuel delivery and battery replacement service.
- Rental car reimbursement: If your car is in the shop, rental car reimbursement coverage will pay for a temporary replacement. This only applies to repairs following a covered accident, not regular maintenance.
- SR-22: Drivers who have bad credit, get a DUI, have a poor driving record or get their license suspended may have to obtain an SR-22. An SR-22 is a certificate that proves you carry the state’s minimum required insurance coverage.
- Non-owner insurance: If you do not own a car but occasionally borrow a vehicle, you need non-owner insurance. It usually only includes liability and medical payments coverage.
- Bundling home and auto policies
- Safe driver
- Paperless billing
- Customer loyalty
- Clean driving record
- Good student
- Vehicle safety features (front and rear airbags, anti-theft system, anti-lock brakes, daytime running lights and automatic seat belts)
Acceptance homeowners insurance
Acceptance insurance sells basic homeowners insurance coverage. Compared to competitors, this provider offers fewer coverage options, endorsements and discounts. However, high-risk homeowners who have a history of claims, poor credit or an aging home may have luck getting a policy from Acceptance.
Types of coverage
- Basic coverage: Acceptance offers standard home insurance coverage. All policies include dwelling, personal property, liability, medical payments and loss of use coverage.
- Identity theft coverage: Acceptance offers identity theft coverage as an add-on policy. It covers the cost of identity restoration services, like credit monitoring.
- Scheduled personal property coverage: If you keep valuable items in your home, purchasing a scheduled personal property endorsement is beneficial. It allows you to increase your coverage limits for specific items, like jewelry or art.
- Bundle home and auto policies
Acceptance life insurance
Acceptance sells term life insurance, which is a good option for younger people who want affordable coverage for a specific period of time. At the end of the term, most insurance companies have an option to convert the term policy into a permanent policy, which offers protection for your lifetime.
Unfortunately, Acceptance Insurance’s website offers limited information about the term life insurance policy. It does not include any information about the policy term lengths or coverage amounts. However, you can enter your zip code and personal information to get a customized life insurance quote online.
Acceptance ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
|Better Business Bureau (BBB)
|NAIC Complaint Index
||12.78 (Higher than average complaints)
Acceptance Insurance’s reviews are not optimal. The company has a B- rating from AM Best, which indicates only fair financial strength. That means Acceptance may struggle to repay policyholders after a covered claim. For comparison, the best insurance companies have financial strength scores of A or better.
Although Acceptance has an A+ rating from the BBB, the letter grade is somewhat misleading. The company is not accredited, and the actual customer reviews paint a different picture. Acceptance has an average rating of 1.12 out of 5 stars based on 34 customer reviews.
Additionally, Acceptance’s National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Complaint Index score raises another red flag. First Acceptance Insurance has extremely high customer complaints. The number of complaints is twice as high as the insurance industry average.
Reasons why Acceptance is a great option
Acceptance car insurance is a good option for high-risk drivers who cannot get standard auto insurance from another provider. The company offers SR-22 certificates and non-owner insurance, which is not available from all insurance companies. Acceptance also has a variety of discount opportunities that can lower your premium.
However, drivers who can get approved for standard insurance coverage will be better off with a different provider. High-risk auto insurance tends to be very expensive, and you can probably get a cheaper rate elsewhere if you have a good driving record and credit score.
If you are looking at home insurance, it should be noted that Acceptance’s home insurance policies are extremely limited in terms of coverage and discounts. Similarly, Acceptance’s website states that it offers term life insurance, but there is no information on what the policies include.
Additional policies offered by Acceptance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Renters insurance
- Commercial insurance
- Pet insurance
- Travel insurance
- TeleMed insurance
Frequently asked questions
Where is Acceptance Insurance available?
Acceptance currently sells insurance in 17 states: California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri.
How much does Acceptance car insurance cost?
The cost of car insurance is different for every driver. Insurance companies look at your state, age, credit score, claim history, driving record and the type of car you drive when calculating your rate. Drivers who are high-risk pay the highest premiums. However, Acceptance does offer several discounts that can lower your rate. To determine how much you will pay for Acceptance car insurance, you can get an instant quote online.
Does Acceptance have online claims?
Yes, Acceptance has online claims for all insurance policies. To report a claim online, you will be prompted to enter your policy number and complete several forms detailing the nature of the claim.