They say credit monitoring services have been offered to all current employees, as well as retirees, former employees and seasonal employees. They called the reports about police officer’s accounts being drained “unfounded” during the press conference on Wednesday morning. They say they were contacted about one officer’s account being drained after the attack. However, they say that same officer had their account drained three months ago and they believe the recent issue stems from that initial phishing scam.
NewsChannel 13 spoke with Greg McGee, the spokesperson for the Albany Police Officers Union. He says at least nine people in the department, that’s including current officers, dispatchers, retirees and former employees have seen fraudulent activity on their accounts since this ransomware attack. He says the city set up a meeting this past Saturday to discuss the issues, but McGee says it needed to be postponed while statements and other banking information is gathered.
If you’re worried about something similar possibly happening to you, SEFCU has the following tips to help keep you safe:
- Make it a habit of reviewing your bank statements carefully and reporting any discrepancies immediately.
- If you have online or mobile banking you can access your account at any time. There is no need to wait for a statement.
- Many financial institutions let you establish a password as an extra layer of protection. The password would be needed before any transaction is made.
- If concerned about your credit, you can have a credit freeze placed on your account at no charge so no new credit can be established. Contact each of the credit bureaus to freeze your credit. (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion). Remember to have the freeze removed before you want to seek additional credit.
- In addition, remember not to share passwords. They should be complex and you shouldn’t use the same one for every login you have.
- If you are unsure or concerned, reach out to your financial institution. A call will either give you peace of mind or allow you to take steps to remedy the situation.
Source: on 2019-04-10 12:56:34
Read More At Source Site