Get Started Now! Get Your Credit Repair Do It Yourself!!

Help for seniors available from several sources | Lifestyles

New IdentityTheft Scam

ARTHURDALE — Who should I call?

When you have an unusual or complex issue or problem to solve, contacting Dear Abby might be tempting, but there are services and resources closer to home in West Virginia.

If you are dealing with a consumer fraud issue, you can file a complaint with the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Hotline about identity theft, telemarketing, Internet scams, fake checks games, pre-need funeral fraud and similar issues at 1-800-368-8808. More information is available at

The Federal Trade Commission protects consumers from unfair business practices. To see how they can help, visit and

For those faced with domestic violence, the West Virginia Coalition Against Domestic Violence website at is the place to start. Call 1-800-799-SAFE, the National Domestic Violence hotline, to speak with a counselor right away.

If you know of abuse, neglect or exploitation of an adult who seems to be mentally or physically incapacitated, you can report it to the Department of Health and Human Resources Adult Protective Services at 1-800-352-6513. Find out more at

Help with legal issues is available. For low-income residents, Legal Aid of West Virginia, at 1-866-255-4370 or, can provide guidance. Seniors, age 60 and over, can receive legal help regardless of income from West Virginia Senior Legal Aid. Contact 1-800-229-5068 or [email protected] for assistance from a staff attorney. Also, various legal resources are available on

Disability Rights West Virginia protects the legal rights of residents with disabilities. Their services are free. Contact them at 1-800-950-5250 or learn more at

Those with independent living issues or disabilities can contact the Aging and Disability Resource Network. Staff can help with applications for supportive programs at 1-866-987-2372. Learn more at

For those in a nursing home or assisted living facility, the West Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program can serve as an advocate on behalf of residents. Call 1-800-834-0598, ext. 2135, for their help.

Also, the Office of Health Facility Licensure and Certification inspects licensed nursing homes and participating nursing facilities. Call 304-558-0050 for their help or visit

For Medicaid patients, DHHR’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit can investigate financial exploitation by caregivers and families. Their tipline is 1-888-Fraud-WV. After Oct. 1, these matters will be handled by the Attorney General’s Office.

Have a complaint about a time share you own? The State Auditor’s Division of Land Sales and Condominiums can provide information and a complaint form at

AARP West Virginia is a non-profit membership organization for people age 50 and up. They increase awareness on senior issues including consumer protection, in-home services, financial security enhancement, and caregiver support. Learn more at or call 1-866-277-7458.

Each agency or program has expertise with these crucial issues to help those who feel unable to handle them on their own.

Source: on 2019-06-28 17:11:15

Read More At Source Site

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

− 5 = 1